Lee & Gordon Mills
One of North Georgia’s newest attractions is one of North Georgia’s oldest buildings: Lee and Gordon’s Mill on Chickamauga Creek. In September, 1863 the mill was the focal point of the battle of Chickamauga, although the only action it saw was relatively minor cavalry skirmishes. Entrepreneur James Gordon came to this area in 1836, and purchased land recently distributed to whites during the Sixth Land Lottery. Included in the purchase was a mill built by James Holiway on this location. A home site at the confluence of Chickamauga Creek and the run-off from Crawfish Springs known as “The Fork” was also purchased by Gordon. In 1838 Gordon gained clear title of the land with the removal of the Cherokee Indians on the Trail of Tears. By 1840, when he began to build his palatial estate known as Gordon-Lee Mansion it is estimated that he owned more than 2000 acres of land. Gordon’s daughter Elizabeth married miller James Lee and in 1857 the mill became known as Lee and Gordon’s.
Call for information